welcome to the lost farm...

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My mother

Where to begin...

My mother was told she had bowel cancer. It hadn't really sunk in for any of us. It felt like we were all just coming to terms with everything when she got another call from the doctor. The biopsy report was in.
They had only taken 5 biopsy samples when they did her colonoscopy. Usually they take more, but in her case the section of her bowel had to be removed regardless of the outcome, cancerous or not, so they only took the five.
After the doctors tell my mother that they were sure she had bowel cancer, they called her back and told her that the biopsies came back clean. No cancer. That doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't cancer somewhere in that section of bowel, but just that all of the parts that they tested came back cancer-free.
It all took my back to when my father got cancer for the third and final time. He had gone in to get some scar tissue removed, and during the operation, one of the student physicians had noticed some suspicious tissues in the area that they were working. They decided to take some samples for testing. The doctor came in to speak to us after the surgery, informing us of the biopsies that were taken. He told us that he was positive that there was no cancer there, but took the biopsies because the student doctor was adament about it. Told us not to worry, that he was sure everything would come out fine. Later that day, we found out he was wrong, and there was new cancer all over my dad's throat, and spreading downwards towards his stomach.
I think it's really unfair when physicians cross that line. I'm not even sure if it's legal. How could someone tell you everything will be ok, when there's no scientific proof of that? They create this emotional rollercoaster, saying "don't worry, I'm sure everything is fine" when really all they're basing that on is a hunch?
So here we are, in the same situation as before. I think my family needs a new doctor.

2 comments:

  1. Hi love,
    I just posted a comment on an earlier post of yours-I hope that your mother's health continues to do well and that cancer leaves your family alone. I suggest shopping around for a doctor who you feel will treat you with honesty and integrity.
    As for your feet-I am sure there is a microwave at work? Sew up two bags big enough to cover your toes and fill them up with flax seeds and sew up the opening-microwave them for 1-2 minutes and place them on your feet whenever you are taking a break and when you get off. Keep heating them up and replacing them. I hate microwaves and won't allow one in my house but I think for you this might help-a better option then loosing your fucking toes! Or loosing your job if you love it. If you are drinking lots of coffee be sure to balance it with lots of water to keep yourself hydrated and your circulation flowing!!!! Take care of yourself-seriously yo! Those feet are precious, they connect you to the earth and move you without thanks through your life-give them respect for all the work they do! Big love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the words. you are a lovely person. xo

    ReplyDelete